Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Penn State Weekend...

Well, I got back from State College on Sunday night, but it's taken me until now to recover enough to write something on here. For those who saw the game on Saturday, it was a tale of two halves. In the first half, Penn State looked sloppy and confused, however in the second half, they looked every bit deserving of the No. 3 BCS ranking they were given this weekend. They must play better than they did in the first half to beat Ohio State this weekend. I'll have some thoughts on the game closer to the end of the week.

As for the BCS rankings, as of now, I'm not too worried. I honestly believe that if Penn State takes care of business, they have nothing to worry about as the other undefeateds with a shot at the title game face much more difficult roads to the championship, likely resulting in at least one of them losing a game before its all said and done. As a friend of the Phanhood points out, however, Penn State is getting romped by the computer polls, even being ranked as low as #11 by one such machine. This really grinds my gears. Why? Penn State is being punished for the rest of the Big Ten's troubles, namely Ohio State's. Think about it. If OSU had even come close to winning one of the last two title games, I don't think we would be hearing so much negative press about the Big Ten. The Big Ten hasn't performed all that poorly in the last few bowl seasons as a whole, in fact, Penn State mopped the floor with an SEC team and a Big 12 team in the last 2 bowl seasons. While I will concede that the Big Ten is considerably weaker than the Big 12 and SEC this year, that doesn't explain how USC gets a free pass. USC was beaten by a team that Penn State had annihilated just a few weeks prior. Adding to that, the Pac-10 really stinks this year as a whole... proof? How about Cal losing to Maryland, Washington St. losing to Long Beach Polytechnic's JV team, Washington losing to everyone in the world, Arizona St. becoming the biggest disappointment since the newest Indiana Jones movie, and pretty much everyone else generally being mediocre. How does USC get a free pass? That, my friends, is the difference between Los Angeles and State College, Pennsylvania... that and the $1.2 million that Pete Carroll pays his players.

Anyway, as I said, this will all be moot as long as PSU does it's job, I hope. For tomorrow, look out for my World Series preview. In case you can't tell, I've been acting like it's not starting TOMORROW so that I can sleep at night. My friend uses this not-getting-pumped-til-the-last-minute tactic and I gotta admit, it's pretty easy, and definitely helps ensure that I get my 8 on a nightly basis.

No comments: