Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Some Birds Poop and a little College Bball

Well, thanks to the Steelers (never thought I'd thank them if it didn't involve the Pats), the Eagles are in a second place tie in the NFC East. While I am completely aware that its a long season and we are a long way away from the finish, I gotta admit I'm starting to get pumped about the Birds. I know, I know, I'm one of very few who are but let me outline why...

The Defense: This defense reminds me of the early Andy Reid-era defenses. Why? First, they seem to be on the field an excessive amount. With the style of offense the Eagles run, it puts the onus on the defense to win the tough games. An onus is never good for anyone involved, however, this defensive unit seems to be up to the task. I think they get in trouble when they go conservative, however, when they are in attack mode, I think they are in the top ten of the league defensively. I also think the turnovers are about to really start pouring in. Andy Reid teams are notoriously slow starters and the defense always seemed to come around first. This season will be no different and I think you can start counting on that unit to win us a few games down the stretch. With our D-Line depth, as well as D-Back depth, we really have the weapons to be an attacking defense that causes turnovers. It's coming together soon, and I think causing 11 STRAIGHT PUNTS was a good indicator.

The Offense: While I'll fully admit that McNabb has a tendancy to be a bit of a liability, I think this offense has the firepower to make noise. I haven't seen much consistency, but then again the offensive lineup hasn't been very consistent either. I think this unit is about to take off as a consistent 28 points per game team in the very near future. Why? Westbrook is healthy. Kevin Curtis, who is the consistent route runner that Donovan needs, is healthy. DeSean Jackson is becoming such a threat that teams need to game plan for him as well. The other receivers are quickly learning their roles and filling them nicely. Brent Celek is developing into a great former draft pick considering where he was chosen. Shawn Andrews is supposed to come back in late November, early December. ASll those factors add up to what should be a consistent offense, with one (kinda two) caveat. Donovan and Andy. Can Donovan make the throws and can Andy make the logical calls? Even if they can't do this on a consistent basis, the defense is strong enough to take us somewhere, however somewhere is not the championship in that scenario.

Special Teams: For once, and for the first time since #36 fielded punts, the Eagles have a chance of doing something on special teams. This is significant because special teams can win a game if you catch the right breaks. Fortunately, the special teams seem to be strong enough defensively that they won't lose games for us and they seem strong enough that we could win a game on a return. Knowing that six points isn't far away is a big plus for this team. I think you can pretty much pencil in at least one more return from Jackson and for Demps to finally break one.

We'll be ok as a team, trust me. I am confident this team will make the playoffs and, if they can figure out how to be remotely consistent, we will make some noise.

On to college basketball. UNC is the first unanimous preseason #1 ever. Ever. I read somewhere that they feature 9 McDonald's All-Americans. NINE! Do you realize how ridiculous that is? That means that on that bench, a McDonald's All-American is getting maybe 10 minutes a game when he could likely start for pretty much any team he lines up against, Duke being the exception. I think we're in for an exciting college basketball season, especially with Davidson being in the top 25, and thus, eligible to be rooted for before late February. I think we're looking at a season where teams outside of UNC will battle for the other 3 #1 seeds to the death. I guarantee you'll see a potential #1 fall in their conference tournament. I also guarantee that an 8 seed who's not in UNC's bracket will make the Final Four and, more than likely, that team will be a Big East team. I'm not sure that I can describe how excited I am for this upcoming season. Although it makes for a lot of one and dones, I think the NBA's 19 year-old rule has really improved the excitement of college basketball. Guys who seem like the real deal in high school are exposed as freshmen. Those who are ready for the Big Show expose everyone they play against. Memphis sports a different lineup almost year-in and year-out and yet they are good year-in and year-out. How can you not love this?? Anyway, before I even look at any local teams, or most teams from across the country for that matter, I have two predictions. A) UCONN will be a bust. I can feel it. They will not finish in the Top 10. B) UNC will win it all. Barring multiple injuries, I think this will be one of the best teams we've seen in a long while. My suggestion? Sit back and enjoy the show, UNC is going to take it to a new level.

I'll have profiles on the local teams and the NBA coming soon. I apologize for the delay, it's just the Phils really threw my schedule for a loop.

PS. I am NOT complaining about having my plans foiled by a World Series victory! It still doesn't feel real to say that.

No comments: